Ek Balam Ruins: Why You Need to Visit
If you’re looking for unique ruins that aren’t crawling with other tourists, Ek Balam ruins are your best bet. You’ll be transported to another time and place as you explore these ancient Mayan pyramids, enriching your whole Cancun experience. Check out why you need to visit the captivating Ek Balam ruins and enjoy a day full of beauty and culture.
History of the City of Ek Balam
What we know today as the Ek Balam ruins were the political center of the region for many centuries, reaching its height from 770 to 840 CE. The population continued to grow until the late classic period when it suddenly decreased to above 10 percent of the highest population. Though experts are not certain about why the city was so quickly abandoned, some people theorize that invaders drove out the inhabitants of Ek Balam.
The ruins are comprised of iconic architectural elements such as impressively deep defensive walls, a ceremonial entrance arch, and the Oval Palace, which once was the site of burial relics. Experts have discovered wall paintings with incredible calligraphy work in Acropolis, which is thought to be the tomb of Ukit Kan Lek Tok, one of Ek Balam’s most significant rulers.
Unique Facts About Ek Balam Ruins
Now you know some of the history of Ek Balam ruins, but we’ve really just scratched the surface of why this site deserves a visit. Here are a few facts that make Ek Balam stand out from all of your other tour options:
1. You Can Climb All the Way to the Top
Ek Balam ruins are some of the tallest in the area, standing at 95 feet tall. You’re allowed to climb to the highest point of the ruins, which will take you high above the treetops and give you a stunning view of the peninsula.
2. The Pyramid Is Shaped Unlike Any Other
The main pyramid of Ek Balam was constructed in a unique shape, making it well worth a visit to see the ingenuity of the ancient civilization.
3. These Ruins are Relatively Newly Restored
Archeologists began excavating the ruins of Ek Balam in 1997, which is relatively recent when compared to other, more well-known ruins in the area. This means the ruins are not as crowded as some of the other ruins, and you’ll have a more raw experience, as if you’re discovering the ruins for the first time.
4. You Can Take a Look at Chichén Itza and Coba
Even though Chichen Itza and Coba are 35 and 40 miles away from Ek Balam, respectively; on a clear day, from the top of the Acropolis, you can see their temples rising on the horizon. Take the opportunity to ask your guide on how this important triangle of Mayan cities interacted establishing strong commercial and political bonds back in the time.
5. You Can Explore in Solitude
There’s nothing like walking through the dense jungle and arriving at the Ek Balam ruins for the first time. The area is peaceful and quiet, and you’ll have more time and solitude to imagine what life was like for these ancient civilizations. Your guide will be always around to provide interesting information and solve any questions, but you will definitely have time to enjoy this magical place and feel its energy.
Tips for Your Visit
Eager to explore Ek Balam ruins? Make sure you’re prepared for the adventure! Here are some expert tips to ensure you have a safe and comfortable experience:
1. Wear walking shoes and comfortable clothing. Climbing to the top of the ruins will definitely be a workout, so make sure you’re wearing your most comfortable shoes and light, loose clothing.
2. Don’t forget the sunscreen! Even on overcast days, the sun will cast powerful rays over Ek Balam. Pack your sunscreen and be sure to apply it throughout the day to avoid getting a sunburn.
3. Pack a hat. In addition to applying sunscreen, you should consider wearing a beach hat or any kind of wide-brimmed hat. This is because it will not only cover your face, but also your neck and ears, which we usually forget to protect.
4. Stay hydrated. Dehydration can cause headaches, fatigue, or even fainting. You’ll enjoy your trip so much more if you bring a large water bottle and stay hydrated throughout the adventure.
Book Your Ek Balam Tour Today
There’s nothing like the Ek Balam ruins to give you a taste of ancient Mayan civilizations. Choose Cancun Adventures for the best experience exploring the area. Your trip will include round trip A/C transportation, a bilingual certified guide, umbrellas, water, and everything else you need to enjoy the trip. Book your Ek Balam Express tour today!